Thursday, October 9, 2008

My perfect life....

After reading a blog entry from my friend Katy, I realized that my "perfect life" dreams had come true also. Although it may not be the perfect life that I envisioned years ago, it the perfect life for me now.

At WMU, Katy and I had weekly talks (or daily, depending on how our classes were going) about just wanting to be moms. Why on earth were we spending all this time and energy (and money) on college, when we wanted to be home anyway? We really didn't understand it sometimes. In hindsight, I wouldn't skip college (and I don't think she would either), because I have a good education and a nursing license that I'm sure I will be using in the future. Although, I asked Eric the other day if he wanted me to go back to work after the kids were in school full time. He said, "why, don't you want to?". Without skipping a beat, I said no. I have come to enjoy my time at home, and this household has become my own little business. But, I told him that I wanted to be able to spend an hour cleaning the bathroom, not 5 minutes like it gets now. He didn't have too much to say about that, but I don't think it will take much to convince him. My Mom never worked when we were young, and I loved coming home from school and having her there.

But, there are certainly days when I could use a break. I was at the Halloween store today looking for a costume for myself, and I had the boys with me. The were actually really good for the most part. Dane kept trying to get me to buy a Batgirl costume for myself. He said it was really cool, but it was actually very slutty. Hmmmm.... At the end of the excursion Abel found the jewelry section, and desperately wanted a black Goth leather bracelet with metal spikes on it. He had a meltdown when I pried it out of his little fists. We then headed up to the checkout, and the boys saw some foam tombstones to put in the ground. I decided to get some, and they each had one to carry. That was fine until Abel saw some bigger ones, and decided that he needed those as well. The tombstones went tumbling down like dominoes. Then, I think someone turned up the heat because I was sweating as I was trying to pick them up, while Abel kept knocking them down. Dane was actually being good at this point, because I told him to hold his tombstone and to not move. He listened.

Anyway, there are times like that when I just want 2 hours to myself to do some things. But, I know that sooner than I think, the boys will be off in school and there will be time for me again. These years with them I won't forget, and hopefully they won't either.

My sister does a wonderful job with her boys, while working full time. Donnie works second shift M-F, so she takes care of them every night during the week. She does amazing, and must have great time management skills to get everything done that she does. Sometimes I look at her and think that there is no way I could do that. However, sometimes I think "Well, at least she has 30 minutes every morning and evening driving in the car ALL ALONE". She probably looks at my life and says "Well, at least she has ALL DAY to throw in some laundry instead of 2 hours at night".

All of this just to say that I am living my perfect life right now. I am very happy and content, and I hope that I can make Eric, Dane, and Abel feel that way too. In my little world, things couldn't be any better.


2 comments:

Nikki said...

Ahh...you are right..I am wonderful. Just kidding...many times I don't know what is coming and going and before I know it the next day is here already. Thanks for the nice comments and I am glad that you are a stay home mom...and one that lives very close to me! Thanks for the "date" nights during the week with the boys.

Kate said...

It is funny what we thought our "perfect" lives would be like vs reality. Fortunately for us we know how to roll with it :-). Kudos to Nik...I don't know how she does it either.