Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Little Firecrackers - Literally!

On the Fourth of July, Eric surprised us with tickets to the Grand Rapids Whitecaps game (minor league baseball) which had fireworks afterward. We were going to see the fireworks somewhere, and we had been talking about going to a Whitecaps game sometime. We thought this would be a fun thing to do.

We got lawn seats, thinking that would be better for the boys. We found a spot, and the boys were pretty good for about 20 minutes. Abel was just quietly sitting on the blanket checking out everyone around him. Then they got brave, and braver, and braver. They kept trying to see how far they could get away from us before we came to get them. We let Daddy watch a few minutes of the game while I tried to take them to the play area for a few minutes, but that just stressed me out. There were tons of kids playing there, and there was no way I could watch both of them. So, off we went back to our lawn seats.

Abel and I went to get some popcorn and a Melting Moments (two cookies that aren't fully baked with ice cream in between -AWESOME - one of the reasons I like to go to the games). We thought that this would occupy them for a little bit. It worked for a few minutes.


After I took this picture, I realized that's when Eric was ready to go.



Eric and I then saw some parents set up their kids with sidewalk chalk on the sidewalk behind me. The parents left, who knows where they were sitting. People were trying to walk around them while the kids were oblivious to them. I then realized that someone had spilled their juice box all over the blanket, and I was sitting in it. That's when I had enough. We were there long enough for Daddy to have a beer and Mommy to have her ice cream. We were done.

I think it was in the fifth inning, and we packed up the kids and headed home. As I was giving the boys a quick bath, Eric went to Meijers to get some fireworks, and set up chairs in the backyard. Here they are after their baths and ready to see fireworks!


FIREWORKS!!!!
Daddy's little helper

After everyone was tucked into bed that night, we realized that it was probably a good thing that we left the game and just did our own fireworks in the backyard. I'm sure the boys had a much better time watching Daddy light the fireworks and then run from them before they went off!





No comments: